DIVISION D (OPEN)
Judge: Vic Laws MBE
Group Restaurant Ambassador The Clink
The Horsell Village Show Cookery Challenge Cup
(Most points in Division D)
£5 for the winner of Class 37
38. Victoria Sandwich (using 3 eggs) filled with raspberry jam; no sugar on top
39. Your Favourite Preserve: one jar approx. 1lb (448g), sweet or savoury. See Judge’s note below. Please supply the recipe on a card beside your entry. The winner’s recipe will be included in next year’s schedule.
40. Marmalade made from citrus fruit: one jar approx. 1lb (448g). See Judge’s note below.
41. Chutney: one jar approx. 1lb (448g). See Judge’s note below.
42. Lemon Curd: one jar approx. 1lb (448g). See Judge’s note below.
43. A Fruit Cake.
44. Four bread rolls on a plate. The use of a bread machine is not permitted.
45. Judge's recipe: Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies from The Clink Charity, four square brownies arranged on a plate. See recipe below.
46. Four Cookies: on a plate.
47. Disaster Class: for any entry intended for Classes 38 – 46 which didn’t turn out as you expected. Please collect you staging card as normal and place in Class 47 for marking by the Committee
Judge’s Note: All jars must be clean and full to the top, have no trade marks or names on the jar or lid, and be labelled giving contents and date made in full (day/month/year). Preserves must be less than 12 months old and must have new twist tops/lids or cellophane covers. If using a cellophane cover a wax disc must be used, but this is not necessary with a twist top/lid. Preserves containing vinegar must have a twist top/lid only and be at least two months old for showing. Please resist the temptation to open your jars in advance of the show. The judge reserves the right not to test any jar which has been opened before judging.
Class 45: CHOCOLATE BROWNIES (Gluten Free)
Recipe taken from Quick and Easy Desserts from The Clink Charity
Prize: A set of The Clink recipe books for the winner of best in class.
Makes 16; Prep 15/20mins; Cooking 25/30 minutes.
80g Unsalted butter
250g Dark chocolate broken in pieces
75g Gluten Free Flour
¾tsp Baking Powder
240g Castor Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Essence
Set oven to 180c; Fan Oven 160C; Gas mark 4.
Butter a 20cm x 30cm baking tin and line with buttered greaseproof paper.
Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and place over pan of hot water. Make sure bowl doesn’t touch the water. Keep stirring until fully melted and then set aside for 10 minutes until cool.
Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.
With an electric whisk in a large bowl beat eggs well until light and fluffy and the gradually add the sugar. Blend in the chocolate mixture and the vanilla extract and then gently fold in the flour.
Spread the mixture into the prepared tin. Tap tin gently on table to even out the mixture.
Bake for about 25/30 minutes. Outside should be firm but inside squidgy.
When cool, cut into 4/5cm squares.
Arrange 4 squares on a plate for the competition.